25 02 2013
(Shakira D.) Live Show Idea—“Sly”
“Making that transition from high school to college can be very daunting for an individual. You know no one, you have to make new friends, you’re away from your friends and family, you have to find the balance between school and play and so much more. Some people handle it well others don’t.
Sly (Sylvester) Grant is one of those college newbies trying to adjust to his new found environment. He went to one of the top high schools in the State of New York, carried a 3.9 gpa upon graduating, he was student body president, and voted most likely to succeed. But will he really succeed? Or will the pressure to fit in and feel wanted by any means over ride his parents’ goal of his success?”
In a nutshell , I want a live show that chronicles the life of a super sheltered eighteen year old honor student and how he basically changes from that to being the complete opposite. He maintains his good boy stature until he meets the wrong people in his sophomore year in an attempt to rebel from his parents and to fit in. He eventually drops out, starts robbing/killing people, doing drugs, and all that “bad boy” jazz. Along the way he meets different people. Some try to help him get back on track, others he’ll meet will continue to deviate him towards the wrong side. A great gift he has is not getting caught (he’s kind of like the dude that plays Django’s sidekick in the film. Smooth but deadly .)
This show would be a multicamera drama with some hints of comedy as well.
People between the ages of 16-39 would watch it.
Possible first five episodes:
1. New Beginnings part 1–Basic intro. Shows Sly moving in, getting settled with his roommate. Roommate sees how studious he is. Teases him about it, fight breaks out threats are made, Sly gets beat up ,etc.
2. New Beginnings part 2–Sly is moved to a new room with a new roommate. This roommate is more “out there” . Tries to get sly to do things out of his character, etc.
3. The Party–His roommate invites him to a party, makes him drink, gets him drunk for the first time. Chicks approach him once they see he’s let loose. He and one specific girl become intimate. Things happen between them, he is now deemed as cool.
4. The Morning After –The night before was basically like an initiation, his friend count increased overnight. The chicks are all over him now, He’s slowly starting to change and loose his studious ways.
5. The Call–One of his new buddy calls him up and asks him if he wanted to go for a ride to get beer, little does he know, his crew is up to something that would change his life—and not in a good way.
My set would probably have lighting and production complexity like “Community”.
I’d like a lot of blues not only to represent drama, but also blues tend to represent boys in general.
Community(this is more comical but I’d like mine to be a mixture of drama and comedy):
Saved by the Bell: